Excursion in old Riga
Excursion in old Riga
Riga is a pretty famous place in Europe. There are many cafes, bars, and
restaurants, with very friendly atmosphere. This small part of
capital of Latvia will excite you with its charm, hospitality and variety
Our excursion is based
on a famous symbol of Old Riga – Three Cocks:
Peter’s Church, The Dome Church and St. Jacob’s Church.
At 10:00 our group will start our tour from The Freedom Monument.
Freedom Monument shows off on Brivibas street. It was built 1931-1935. The
Monument of Liberty is an outstanding monument of history, architecture and
art. It is a testimony of love and respect of the nation towards its
Motherland and Liberty. It is an interesting fact that the monument was
built for the money donated by people.
Now we are moving forward to the first cock on Skarnu street 19 – St. Peter’s Church.
Peter’s Church was first mentioned in 1209. From the very beginning it was
considered to be the church of Riga’s burgers. The height of the church
tower and the original view has changed many times; it burnt in fire many times,
but was always renovated. The present steeple of the church was renovated in
After lifting up and observing the view from this highest
place of Old Riga, our group is going to our next aim, the second cock-The Dome Church on Dome
foundation stone of the church was laid in 1211; the church was
originally a wooden building.
Riga's first Dome was burnt down in 1215. Due to shortage of well-processed
already in the 20-s of the 13-th century those, who built the church,
resorted to brick construction.
The church was reconstructed and restored many times. In 1776 the spire of
the church acquired its
present baroque design. In 1883-1884 in the Dome church there was erected the
organ the pride of
Riga's dwellers, which was the world's biggest at the moment of erection.
The Riga Castle (Pils
square 3). The former fortress of Livonian order’s grandmaster was started
to be built in 1330. In 1484 the castle was destroyed, since then the
original view of the castle has been changed several times.
several reconstructions the castle lost its medieval character to a
considerable extent. In the times of Latvian independent State the castle was
transformed into the State president’s residence and representation building.
In 1938 the Three Star tower was erected in accordance with architect E.
Our next stop is
the Riga Castle, the Latvian President’s residence.
After that we are
going to see the building that will make you smile - Maza Pils street 17; 19; 21.
medieval dwelling houses. The oldest building is by number 17, it was built
between 15-16 centuries, and it is considered the oldest dwelling house in
Riga, remaining intact to the present day. After World War II the houses
were restored and named ‘’Three Brothers’’.
Not far from that place is our last required observing object –
third Cock – St. Jacob’s Church witch was first mentioned in 1226. Altar part is all
what was preserved from the original building in quite a good state. In the
15-th century the church was reconstructed to a considerable extent. In 1480
the church obtained the clock-chime. To hear it better the clock-chime was
placed in church’s middle part outside the spire covered by a small roof. The
church acquired its present view after reconstruction in 1756.
At 15:00 we will
have an Italian dinner at restaurant “Monterosso”.
We hope you are